-->

Airports


This time of year “Love Actually” playing on almost every channel. The opening scene is in an airport terminal and shows warm embraces between mothers, fathers, children, wives, husbands, friends and family. You can feel the love and joy emoting from the screen.

Airports are truly one of the most emotional places on earth. I remember as a child waiting with balloons and posters for my dad to return home. I remember squealing and jumping for joy when I saw him come through the gate. I remember crying when I had to bid him farewell again.

I remember the first time I traveled by myself to New Zealand in August of 2008. I was epitome of young & stupid with a thirst for adventure. I had no job. I had no plan. I would soon be broke.  I remember the tears streaming down my face as I walked through security and I left my home for the first time. That feeling soon passed and was replaced with the excitement and joy of exploring the world for the first time on my own. 

Over the past 4 years I’ve been in a lot of airports, I’ve seen a lot of places, I’ve said a lot of hellos and a lot of goodbyes.

I think one of the best feelings on earth is returning home after a long journey and knowing that you have people that you love waiting at the gate. There are tears of joy and long embraces. It is exactly like the scene of “Love Actually”.

One of the worst feelings in the world is knowing that you don’t have anyone waiting for you on the other side. I remember hugging my family goodbye after Christmas last year and returning to Vancouver. I had a sinking feeling at the pit of my stomach because I knew that there would be no one waiting for me. I left the plane and then proceeded to board the skytrain with a sea of faceless strangers.. I felt completely unanimous and insignificant.

Right now I am sitting in YVR airport. This marks the end of one chapter in my life and the beginning of another. I am excited for the future and the unknown.  I am terrified that I will look back and regret my decision. I didn't know it was possible to feel so many emotions at one time.